How can I get Eviction Protection?

Article Details
  • Written By: Autumn Rivers
  • Edited By: Andrew Jones
  • Last Modified Date: 03 June 2019
  • Copyright Protected:
    Conjecture Corporation
  • Print this Article

Whether you are a landlord or a tenant, you may need eviction protection at some point. Both parties can protect themselves by keeping a record of every transaction, and having every agreement written down. Landlords who feel the need to evict a tenant can contact an eviction service for help removing renters as peacefully and easily as possible. On the other hand, tenants facing eviction may be able to make an eviction appeal in court, typically on the advice of a lawyer specializing in this field.

It is best to keep track of each rent payment when possible. Tenants who write checks should keep a copy of each one to show that they paid on-time every month, or should at least be able to provide electronic proof of this, such as through a bank statement. Landlords can make a copy of each check for records, though many banks allow customers to see a copy online of each check that they cash, allowing landlords to have proof of late payments. Additionally, a copy of the signed lease and any other agreements should be kept by both parties so that they can be referred to quickly to answer questions, or brought up in court if necessary. Agreements made in-person or over the phone do not tend to stand up in court, so they cannot be used for eviction protection.


If you are a landlord that needs to evict a tenant, you may not want to deal with the necessary steps. They can be time-consuming and confusing, which is why an eviction service may be helpful. This kind of eviction protection usually requires that you pay a low monthly fee in exchange for a company to start eviction proceedings against your tenants should you ever need to do so. The monthly cost usually includes eviction notice service, court summons, and eviction lawyer fees. Such a service can usually ensure that you do not make a wrong move during an eviction that can cost you money or get you in legal trouble.

Tenants typically also need some sort of eviction protection, as well. You need to know your rights as a tenant, such as the fact that you should get at least five days to either vacate the premises or contest the eviction notice (this period may vary by state). If you believe that you have a case against the landlord and should not have to leave the property, you can make an eviction appeal in court. Contacting an eviction lawyer first to find out how strong your case is may be advised when it comes to eviction protection.



Discuss this Article

Post your comments

Post Anonymously


forgot password?