We are independent & ad-supported. We may earn a commission for purchases made through our links.
Advertiser Disclosure
Our website is an independent, advertising-supported platform. We provide our content free of charge to our readers, and to keep it that way, we rely on revenue generated through advertisements and affiliate partnerships. This means that when you click on certain links on our site and make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn more.
How We Make Money
We sustain our operations through affiliate commissions and advertising. If you click on an affiliate link and make a purchase, we may receive a commission from the merchant at no additional cost to you. We also display advertisements on our website, which help generate revenue to support our work and keep our content free for readers. Our editorial team operates independently of our advertising and affiliate partnerships to ensure that our content remains unbiased and focused on providing you with the best information and recommendations based on thorough research and honest evaluations. To remain transparent, we’ve provided a list of our current affiliate partners here.

Which Has More Grooves: a Quarter or a Dime?

Despite the size difference, a quarter only has one more groove on its edge than a dime. Quarters have 119 grooves on their edge; dimes have 118. The technical name for the grooves on the outside of these coins is "reeding," and only three of the US coins have them — dimes, quarters, and half-dollars. The only currently-used American coins without anything on the edge is the penny and the nickel.

More facts about American coins:

  • Nickels, dimes, and quarters are soaked in a chemical solution before they are minted. This washes and polishes the metal before it is stamped.

  • Before 1909, there was a picture of Lady Liberty on almost every American coin in circulation. However, by 1950 she had been almost entirely replaced by pictures of the US Presidents. Now, no circulating coin has the picture of Lady Liberty, although she still shows up on some collector's coins.

  • The tiny letter underneath the year on coins is called a mint mark. The mint mark show where the coin was struck.
Discussion Comments
WiseGeek, in your inbox

Our latest articles, guides, and more, delivered daily.

WiseGeek, in your inbox

Our latest articles, guides, and more, delivered daily.