We are independent & ad-supported. We may earn a commission for purchases made through our links.
Advertiser Disclosure
Our website is an independent, advertising-supported platform. We provide our content free of charge to our readers, and to keep it that way, we rely on revenue generated through advertisements and affiliate partnerships. This means that when you click on certain links on our site and make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn more.
How We Make Money
We sustain our operations through affiliate commissions and advertising. If you click on an affiliate link and make a purchase, we may receive a commission from the merchant at no additional cost to you. We also display advertisements on our website, which help generate revenue to support our work and keep our content free for readers. Our editorial team operates independently of our advertising and affiliate partnerships to ensure that our content remains unbiased and focused on providing you with the best information and recommendations based on thorough research and honest evaluations. To remain transparent, we’ve provided a list of our current affiliate partners here.

What is Building Indemnity Insurance?

By Staci A. Terry
Updated May 17, 2024
Our promise to you
WiseGeek is dedicated to creating trustworthy, high-quality content that always prioritizes transparency, integrity, and inclusivity above all else. Our ensure that our content creation and review process includes rigorous fact-checking, evidence-based, and continual updates to ensure accuracy and reliability.

Our Promise to you

Founded in 2002, our company has been a trusted resource for readers seeking informative and engaging content. Our dedication to quality remains unwavering—and will never change. We follow a strict editorial policy, ensuring that our content is authored by highly qualified professionals and edited by subject matter experts. This guarantees that everything we publish is objective, accurate, and trustworthy.

Over the years, we've refined our approach to cover a wide range of topics, providing readers with reliable and practical advice to enhance their knowledge and skills. That's why millions of readers turn to us each year. Join us in celebrating the joy of learning, guided by standards you can trust.

Editorial Standards

At WiseGeek, we are committed to creating content that you can trust. Our editorial process is designed to ensure that every piece of content we publish is accurate, reliable, and informative.

Our team of experienced writers and editors follows a strict set of guidelines to ensure the highest quality content. We conduct thorough research, fact-check all information, and rely on credible sources to back up our claims. Our content is reviewed by subject-matter experts to ensure accuracy and clarity.

We believe in transparency and maintain editorial independence from our advertisers. Our team does not receive direct compensation from advertisers, allowing us to create unbiased content that prioritizes your interests.

Building indemnity insurance is an insurance policy that builders must obtain in some areas of the world when the building project has a value of a certain amount, and often requires development approval from the local governmental body. This type of insurance policy provides protection to the property owner in the event that the builder dies, disappears, or goes bankrupt during the construction period or within so many years after the construction is complete. Building indemnity insurance helps protect not only the current owner of the property but also subsequent property owners within a certain time frame. A building indemnity insurance policy may also offer coverage for injuries and property damage to third parties resulting from the builder’s negligence. These insurance policies are most prevalent in countries such as Australia.

In South Australia, pursuant to the Building Work Contractors Act (1995), all registered builders must obtain a building indemnity insurance policy before taking on a building project with a value set by law, which is currently $12,000 Australian Dollars (AUD). These builders cannot accept payment for such a project or obtain a local government building license until they have purchased a building indemnity insurance policy and provided a copy to the homeowner or building owner. Any building projects under that value would not be subject to this requirement. Owner-builders, or builders who are building solely for themselves, must also take out this type of insurance policy if they intend to sell the property within seven years of obtaining the building license.

A builder or contractor would normally obtain a building indemnity insurance policy through a regular insurance company that offers such policies and coverage in this specialized situation. This sort of insurance policy only becomes applicable if the contractor does not complete the work or performs it in a faulty manner, and is not around to remedy the situation. Where a law requires the purchase of such an insurance policy, there is in essence a statutory warranty for the property in question under certain circumstances for a strictly defined period.

Most of these laws requiring the purchase of building indemnity insurance only apply to licensed builders and contractors. If a home or business owner utilizes a builder that is not licensed, he will not have the security of building indemnity insurance unless the builder has voluntarily chosen to purchase the policy. This is one reason hiring a licensed contractor is often advised.

WiseGeek is dedicated to providing accurate and trustworthy information. We carefully select reputable sources and employ a rigorous fact-checking process to maintain the highest standards. To learn more about our commitment to accuracy, read our editorial process.
Discussion Comments
WiseGeek, in your inbox

Our latest articles, guides, and more, delivered daily.

WiseGeek, in your inbox

Our latest articles, guides, and more, delivered daily.