Fact Checked

How do I get a Master's in English Education?

Dan Cavallari
Dan Cavallari

Before working on a master's in English education, you will need to complete an undergraduate degree, either in English, education, or a related field. Some colleges and universities offer programs that will allow you to work on both a bachelor's degree and a master's in English education concurrently, meaning you will work on coursework non-stop until both degrees are earned. Other colleges and universities will consider your undergraduate work when you apply for acceptance to graduate school, though acceptance to a particular program is not guaranteed. Once you have earned an undergraduate degree, be sure to research different programs at several schools to find the program that will work best for you.

Application requirements for a master's in English education will vary from school to school. You may need to take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), and submit your scores to the school to be considered for acceptance. Some schools have a minimum GRE score, while other schools do not require test scores at all for you to be considered for a master's in English education. The applications will require you to submit your undergraduate transcripts as well, and some schools will have minimum grade point average (GPA) requirements as well. Be sure to research each school's requirements before applying to save yourself the effort and money if you do not qualify.

Woman standing behind a stack of books
Woman standing behind a stack of books

Once you have been accepted to a program for a master's in English education, you will need to figure out what courses you need to take. It may be helpful to consult an academic advisor within the English education department to design the most logical and useful schedule of coursework. Many graduate degrees such as this one can take two or three years to complete, so be sure you have a way to finance your living situation while you are in school and be prepared to work hard at the coursework you schedule.

Completion of a master's in English education may require that you pass several examinations, and it may also require you to complete a student teaching practicum. This means you will work in an actual classroom alongside a certified teacher who can guide you through the process of writing and executing lesson plans. This part of the program can take up to six months in a classroom. Once all your coursework and examinations are complete, you will need to apply for teacher certification if you plan on obtaining a job as an educator, and the requirements for such certification will vary by region.

You might also Like

Discuss this Article

Post your comments
Forgot password?
    • Woman standing behind a stack of books
      Woman standing behind a stack of books