We are independent & ad-supported. We may earn a commission for purchases made through our links.
Advertiser Disclosure
Our website is an independent, advertising-supported platform. We provide our content free of charge to our readers, and to keep it that way, we rely on revenue generated through advertisements and affiliate partnerships. This means that when you click on certain links on our site and make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn more.
How We Make Money
We sustain our operations through affiliate commissions and advertising. If you click on an affiliate link and make a purchase, we may receive a commission from the merchant at no additional cost to you. We also display advertisements on our website, which help generate revenue to support our work and keep our content free for readers. Our editorial team operates independently of our advertising and affiliate partnerships to ensure that our content remains unbiased and focused on providing you with the best information and recommendations based on thorough research and honest evaluations. To remain transparent, we’ve provided a list of our current affiliate partners here.

How do I File a Corporate Tax Extension?

Nicole Madison
Updated May 17, 2024
Our promise to you
WiseGeek is dedicated to creating trustworthy, high-quality content that always prioritizes transparency, integrity, and inclusivity above all else. Our ensure that our content creation and review process includes rigorous fact-checking, evidence-based, and continual updates to ensure accuracy and reliability.

Our Promise to you

Founded in 2002, our company has been a trusted resource for readers seeking informative and engaging content. Our dedication to quality remains unwavering—and will never change. We follow a strict editorial policy, ensuring that our content is authored by highly qualified professionals and edited by subject matter experts. This guarantees that everything we publish is objective, accurate, and trustworthy.

Over the years, we've refined our approach to cover a wide range of topics, providing readers with reliable and practical advice to enhance their knowledge and skills. That's why millions of readers turn to us each year. Join us in celebrating the joy of learning, guided by standards you can trust.

Editorial Standards

At WiseGeek, we are committed to creating content that you can trust. Our editorial process is designed to ensure that every piece of content we publish is accurate, reliable, and informative.

Our team of experienced writers and editors follows a strict set of guidelines to ensure the highest quality content. We conduct thorough research, fact-check all information, and rely on credible sources to back up our claims. Our content is reviewed by subject-matter experts to ensure accuracy and clarity.

We believe in transparency and maintain editorial independence from our advertisers. Our team does not receive direct compensation from advertisers, allowing us to create unbiased content that prioritizes your interests.

The manner in which you can file a corporate tax extension may depend on where you live. Different countries and regions typically have different tax laws and procedures, and you will have to meet the requirements of the particular tax agency that governs your region. In most cases, however, filing a corporate tax extension involves filling out forms, providing a reason for the extension and submitting the form to the tax agency in question. In many places, however, you will also need to send a payment for your estimated taxes. If you do not send a payment by the date on which your taxes would normally be due or your estimated payment is far less than the amount you owe, you may face late fees and other penalties.

When you need to file a corporate tax extension, you will usually have to contact the tax agency with which you will be filing to ask questions. You will need to ask for details about the process of filing a tax extension with the particular agency as well as the deadline by which corporate taxes must be filed. This way, you can file your extension before your taxes are due. If you wait until the deadline has passed, you may still be able to file an extension, but you may face late fees and penalties.

In most places, the tax agency with which you have to file will provide a form or group of forms for filing a corporate tax extension. You may mail the completed forms back to the agency in most cases. Some tax agencies may also allow you to file a corporate tax extension online, however.

You will likely have to calculate the estimated taxes you owe when filing a corporate tax extension. While you may not know exactly how much your business will owe, it is typically in your best interest to carefully calculate an estimate and send the estimated amount to your tax agency before the regular tax payment due date. By doing so, you may avoid late fees and penalties that you would normally face when paying your tax bills late or sending in a smaller-than-required payment.

It is important to note that you may need to file corporate taxes with more than one tax agency. In such a case, you will likely have to contact each agency to learn its unique requirements for filing a corporate tax extension. You may have to submit a separate extension form to each agency, though some jurisdictions may allow you to send a national and regional extension request at the same time.

WiseGeek is dedicated to providing accurate and trustworthy information. We carefully select reputable sources and employ a rigorous fact-checking process to maintain the highest standards. To learn more about our commitment to accuracy, read our editorial process.
Nicole Madison
By Nicole Madison
Nicole Madison's love for learning inspires her work as a WiseGeek writer, where she focuses on topics like homeschooling, parenting, health, science, and business. Her passion for knowledge is evident in the well-researched and informative articles she authors. As a mother of four, Nicole balances work with quality family time activities such as reading, camping, and beach trips.
Discussion Comments
By anon128658 — On Nov 20, 2010

I have an extension on my company's house accounting return. does this inc my corp tax return, which I think will be close to zero? Thanks.

Nicole Madison
Nicole Madison
Nicole Madison's love for learning inspires her work as a WiseGeek writer, where she focuses on topics like...
Learn more
WiseGeek, in your inbox

Our latest articles, guides, and more, delivered daily.

WiseGeek, in your inbox

Our latest articles, guides, and more, delivered daily.