Category: 

What Should I do About an Alcohol Overdose?

Drinking too much alcohol can possible lead to a life-threatening condition commonly known as alcohol poisoning. An individual who has been drinking alcohol and is showing signs of an alcohol overdose, like vomiting and slurred speech, should be closely monitored. In extreme cases, such as if the person quits breathing or becomes unconscious, emergency medical attention is required.

If a person experiencing an alcohol overdose is not vomiting, he should be made to sit or lie in a comfortable spot. There is a good possibility that he could fall and hurt himself if he is left to wander around. During an alcohol overdose, if the individual wants to lie down, let him.

Most people will usually want to sleep after drinking too much alcohol. In this case, the inebriated person should be monitored closely. Since the levels of alcohol in the blood rise even while a person is sleeping, it is important to wake him up frequently. If he is hard to wake up, or can't be woken up at all, he will most likely require medical assistance.

When lying down, an intoxicated person should be positioned on his side, never his back. Pillows and bedding should be placed next to his back to prevent him from rolling over, but he should still be monitored closely, especially if he begins to vomit. If he is lying on his back when vomiting, he could possibly choke.

Individuals who are vomiting should be put in an upright, sitting position, if at all possible. This will prevent them from choking. Many individuals experiencing an alcohol overdose will vomit or feel the need to vomit. If they can not or will not vomit, never attempt to make them vomit. The only exception to this rule is when poison control center personnel or emergency medical personnel instruct you to do so.

If a person becomes unresponsive at any time after an alcohol overdose, seeking emergency medical attention is imperative. An individual who has stopped breathing or has cold, blue skin must also be taken to the emergency room as soon as possible. Doctors treating an alcohol overdose should also be informed of the amount and type of alcohol that he consumed, as well as how long he had been drinking and when he stopped.

Most drugs, whether legal or illegal, should never be mixed with alcohol. Many times, this can result in a very dangerous reaction and possibly be fatal. When an individual is hospitalized for an alcohol overdose, the medical professionals treating him should be told if he was taking any other drugs. Narcotics and sedatives are especially dangerous when mixed with alcohol.

Ad

Recommended

Discuss this Article

AnswerMan
Post 1

I've only known one person who overdosed on alcohol, but once was enough. My college roommate was having a graduation party and there was plenty of alcohol being served. One guest decided to take advantage and finish at least one full bottle of vodka by himself. I saw him lying on the sidewalk, but I thought he was just trying to sleep things off. Someone else noticed he wasn't breathing very well and he couldn't form words. She called 911 and an ambulance transported him to the hospital.

The next morning, my roommate got a call from a friend at the hospital and found out the man nearly died from alcohol poisoning. One more drink probably would have killed him. He recovered physically, but I don't know if he ever fully recovered mentally.

Post your comments

Post Anonymously

Login

username
password
forgot password?

Register

username
password
confirm
email