Category: 

What are the Best Tips for Black Mold Cleanup?

Article Details
  • Written By: Alex Tree
  • Edited By: Melissa Wiley
  • Last Modified Date: 21 October 2019
  • Copyright Protected:
    2003-2019
    Conjecture Corporation
  • Print this Article

Black mold, scientifically known as Stachybotrys chartarum, is dangerous to breathe and often difficult to get rid of. Cleaning black mold usually requires strong cleaning solutions such as white vinegar or bleach. Small projects can be taken on by a layperson, but rampant black mold may require a professional’s care. Before beginning the task, it may prove useful to set aside cleaning products that will come in contact with the mold and then throw them away once the project is finished.

Since this type of mold is a toxic mold and black mold cleanup involves dealing with strong chemicals, wearing a mask to better prevent inhalation of contaminated air is generally recommended by experts. In addition, disposable latex or rubber gloves can protect the hands from coming in contact with both the chemicals and mold. During the black mold cleanup process, it is also wise to limit the exposure of other body parts, such as the knees, feet, and elbows. Snug-fitting safety goggles, a popular item in black mold cleanup kits, can prevent chemicals from burning the eyes.

Ad

There are mold cleaning products specifically designed to kill toxic mold, but a mixture of bleach or vinegar and water is a popular and inexpensive method of black mold cleanup. It is usually recommended to mix one part bleach or white vinegar with ten parts water. When using a vinegar solution, adding baking soda to the mix can create a stronger cleaning agent. These methods work best for non-porous surfaces.

A frequent mistake regarding black mold cleanup is not killing all of the mold the first time. For example, simply hiring a carpet cleaner or renting a machine to clean black mold from a carpet may not kill mold spores. It can make significant headway in the way the carpet looks and smells, but someone who is allergic to black mold may not gain much relief. Carpet that was thoroughly soaked during a flood might not be salvageable, and throwing it away can save time and money and provide faster relief from mold allergies.

Cleaning black mold from the walls or pipes of a home is often easier than cleaning carpets and clothing. It is not impossible to clean black mold from porous items, however. The item may positively respond to repeatedly applied cleaning solutions. If there is no sign of eventual improvement in appearance and smell, it might be best to throw away the item. This is especially true if there are animals, children, or anyone else residing in the home who may be very sensitive to mold spores.

Ad

Recommended

Discuss this Article

donasmrs
Post 3

I think that bleach is the best solution for mold cleanup. It's cheap and it's very effective.

I don't usually use bleach at home because it's a strong chemical that can be harmful if inhaled. But since it's the best and cheapest mold remover, I had to use it to remove black mold. Of course, I made sure that the area is well ventilated first. I opened all of the windows and I put on a mask. The mask protects from the mold and from bleach fumes.

It has been two months and there is no sign of mold anywhere.

SteamLouis
Post 2

@burcinc-- Considering that black mold has already caused health problems for you, cleaning it and being around it will probably worsen your symptoms. When mold is cleaned, mold spores release into the air. So the person doing the cleaning will be exposed to a lot of it. You can protect yourself with well a well fitting mask covering your nose and mouth.

If you don't feel that you will be able to protect yourself properly while cleaning black mold, then it's probably a good idea to get help from an expert. Some people can't afford to get professional help, but if you can afford it, I think this is best. If it was regular mold, I would tell you to clean it yourself. But this is black mold which is more dangerous for health.

burcinc
Post 1

I've discovered some black mold in the basement. This explains the allergy symptoms I've been experiencing lately. I'm not undecided whether I should try to clean it up myself or if I should hire a professional to do it for me. It's not a very large area, so I could clean it myself but I'm worried about how it's going to affect my health. What should I do?

Post your comments

Post Anonymously

Login

username
password
forgot password?

Register

username
password
confirm
email