Learn something new every day
More Info... by email
Allergy sufferers who want to try out the method of using bee pollen for allergies should first become aware of both the risks and benefits, and should take very small doses until they learn how their body will react to the bee pollen. While some claim that bee pollen is a natural remedy for allergies and certain allergy sufferers state they have seen improvement in seasonal allergies and hay fever symptoms, currently medical research has found no health benefits from bee pollen and has not found supporting evidence that bee pollen works on allergies. Bee pollen rarely has serious side effects, however, and typically a person can try bee pollen for allergies to see if it works for her without fear of any medical complications.
Using bee pollen for allergies follows the same theory behind other homeopathic remedies. Those who support the treatment feel that exposing the body to an allergen like bee pollen may cause a small reaction at first, but eventually the body will build up a tolerance and when allergy season rolls around the body will have little or no reaction. Some patients have claimed success using bee pollen for allergies while others state the allergy-like symptoms caused by the bee pollen made it too difficult to continue taking it. Typically for bee pollen to work, it is thought it should come from the patient's local area so the person builds up a tolerance to specific pollens she will come into contact with during allergy season.
To take bee pollen to treat allergies, an interested person should first talk to her doctor to see if it is safe for her. Next, she should research companies offering it and make sure the company is both local and trusted. Finally, she should determine whether she wants to take the bee pollen as a capsule, granule, tablet, liquid, or even a powder. Her choice may depend on availability and what is easiest to take on a daily basis.
For best results, it is essential for the patient to start slow and take a very small amount, such as one or two granules, a day. Since bee pollen is an allergen, the person may experience an allergic reaction. If it is uncomfortable, the patient should stop and seek a different treatment for managing her allergies. For smaller reactions, the patient may wish to continue taking the bee pollen to see if the symptoms disappear over time, however, it is important for her to consult with her doctor, especially if symptoms worsen.
Patients who experience a severe reaction should seek medical help immediately. Though it is rare, some patients may have such a severe reaction that the throat swells closed and prevents breathing. Death can occur from this. For this reason, it is extremely important to stop taking bee pollen if symptoms occur, seek medical help for problematic symptoms, and avoid taking bee pollen all together if the patient has a history of severe allergic reaction from a medicine or supplement.
If the patient finds her body tolerates bee pollen without an allergic reaction, she should gradually increase her dosage to one tablespoon daily. She may choose to take this every day or simply start taking it two months before allergy season and stop once the allergy season has passed. Some may wish to mix the bee pollen with raw honey when taking it, as raw honey is another natural treatment that claims to help with allergy symptoms.
I use locally collected bee pollen to reduce hay fever and find it very effective, but I would like to know if the pollen would still work if cooked, for example, in a cake? If I could do this then I would never forget to take my daily dose!
One of our editors will review your suggestion and make changes if warranted. Note that depending on the number of suggestions we receive, this can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days. Thank you for helping to improve wiseGEEK!