Category: 

How do I Remove Water Damage Mold?

Article Details
  • Written By: Angela Crout-Mitchell
  • Edited By: Allegra J. Lingo
  • Last Modified Date: 22 June 2018
  • Copyright Protected:
    2003-2018
    Conjecture Corporation
  • Print this Article

One of the biggest problems associated with water damage is the formation of mold. It is a health hazard for many people, which can intensify asthma symptoms and cause other breathing disorder problems. There are a variety of techniques and tools to remove water damage mold from homes and other buildings. To completely remove water damage mold, all moisture must be eliminated from the water damaged area, all major surfaces must be thoroughly cleaned, and all wood and fabric furniture must be treated with a mold-preventing solution.

There are a number of necessary tools and supplies are necessary for water damage mold removal. A dehumidifier is essential to help remove all traces of water and residual moisture from the previously flooded space, as any overlooked moisture can result in a continuing black mold problem. Cleaning supplies consisting of bleach solution, clean water, and a high quality disinfectant will kill existing mold spores. A ventilation mask and gloves are vital for protecting anyone working to dry out a house from the caustic chemicals in the cleaning products and from the mold itself.

Ad

The first step in water damage mold removal is to dry out the space affected by water damage. Depending on the severity of the water damage, mops and buckets may be required to remove large amounts of water. A dehumidifier will also assist in drying up any remaining water and moisture. Good ventilation, such as open windows and box fans, will help the air flow during the drying process.

After the moisture from the flooding has been properly disposed of, effective cleaning is essential in eliminating the risk of black mold. Most experts recommend using bleach solution and warm water to clean the walls and floors of the affected area. Once the walls and floors have completely dried, they should be treated with a water and disinfectant solution. If the affected area is carpeted, the carpet will need to removed and replaced or completely dried out in the sun to destroy lingering mold spores. Wearing a ventilation masks rubber gloves during this process is suggested to ensure safety.

Another aspect of water damage mold control includes caring for any furniture that may have been damaged. Wood furniture can be treated with denatured alcohol. It generally will not cause any damage to the finish of the furniture, and will successfully eliminate any remaining mold spores. Any removable fabric sections from furniture must be washed in the hottest water possible. Upholstered pieces of furniture should be taken outside and left for a day in the sun, brushed with a soft bristled brush to dislodge mold spores, and then sprayed with a disinfectant solution.

Ad

Recommended

Discuss this Article

Post your comments

Post Anonymously

Login

username
password
forgot password?

Register

username
password
confirm
email