How do I File an Industrial Accident Claim?

An industrial accident can result in an injured worker. If an injury from an work-related accident leaves you unable to work, workers' compensation insurance can reimburse your lost wages. Your employer is legally liable for insuring his workers against potential injuries and he should file the industrial accident claim on your behalf. Start your industrial accident claim process by informing your employer.

Report your work-related injury to your employer right away. Unless the employer is fully informed, he can object to the insurance claim and it can be denied. Inform your employer about the details of the accident, and make sure your supervisor understands the type of injury and what limitations that injury will have on your ability to fulfill your job duties.

Ask for a workers' compensation claim form from your direct supervisor. If your employer does not have one on file, ask the insurance claims administrator. Many employers have company doctors or clinics to handle worker-related injuries. It is also wise to get a second opinion from your personal physician.

See a doctor to have your injury examined and to determine the limitations to your work. The insurance claims administrator will want to read the doctor's findings. Ask your state workers' compensation agency for a qualified medical doctor. This will help to ensure your industrial accident claim goes through without any problems.

On the industrial accident claim form, fill out the details of the accident and injury. Write down the time, date, and location of the accident, and the name of your supervisor. Include on the form the type of work you do, along with any equipment or machines you were using when the accident happened. Describe the cause of the injury and where on your body you were hurt. It is not necessary to give fault for the accident; this is a no-fault insurance plan.

Once you have filled out and submitted to the company your part of the industrial accident claim form, your employer must then fill out his part of the claim form. After that, he will give it to the claims administrator, who will decide if you will receive workers' compensation benefits. You, your employer and the insurance company all get copies of the industrial accident claim.

The state workers' compensation agency also receives a copy of the claim. The insurance company has 14 days in which to give you a decision on your claim. If your claim is denied, you can appeal the decision to your state compensation board. It is also important to note that contract workers and businesses with less than 15 employees are not covered by workers' compensation insurance.


Discuss this Article

Post your comments

Post Anonymously


forgot password?