How do I Become a Root Canal Specialist?

Article Details
  • Written By: N. Madison
  • Edited By: Heather Bailey
  • Last Modified Date: 09 June 2018
  • Copyright Protected:
    Conjecture Corporation
  • Print this Article

In order to become a root canal specialist, you typically have to finish high school and then earn a bachelor’s degree, though some dental schools accept students who have finished three years of college. Following undergraduate school, you will usually have to complete dental school. In most cases, dental school lasts for four years and ends with the granting of a doctoral degree. To become a root canal specialist, you will usually have to commit to two additional years of training in endodontics, which is a dental field that focuses on diseases of the dental pulp. Additionally, most jurisdictions require aspiring endodontists to take an exam to secure licensing.

You will typically have to commit to several years of education and training to become a root canal specialist. First, you will usually have to earn a high school or general educational development (GED) diploma and then seek admission to college. Once enrolled in college, you will usually have to earn a bachelor’s degree, which often requires about four years of study. You can choose just about any college major when you want to become a root canal specialist, as dental schools don’t usually require you to select any particular major. You may, however, have to complete courses in biology, organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, physics, and composition to gain admission to dental school; some dental schools may also require you to take courses in physics and math in preparation for admission to their programs.


After undergraduate college, four years of dental school are usually required for becoming a root canal specialist. While in dental college, you will typically take a range of courses, including those in subjects like biology and anatomy. You will also learn a wide variety of laboratory techniques as part of your training. Additionally, supervised clinical practice is usually included as part of dental school training. Following dental school, you will usually have to complete advanced training in endodontics. The length of this training may depend on your jurisdiction but often lasts for about two years.

You will usually have to obtain licensing to practice as a dentist. Depending on your jurisdiction, you may have to obtain a separate license to practice as a root canal specialist as well. In most cases, you will have to ensure that you have fulfilled your jurisdiction's education and training requirements and then pass an exam to obtain each type of necessary licensing.



Discuss this Article

Post your comments

Post Anonymously


forgot password?